The last, and most famous, sailing ship to carry Cumberland coal was the Pamir. It was named after the Pamirs, a mountain range in central Asia believed to be the source of the lapis lazuli in Egyptian tombs. Powdered lapis was used as eyeshadow by Cleopatra and lapis lazuli was an important ingredient in an Egyptian treatment for cataracts. Upon entering the Straight of Juan de Fuca, the Pamir was becalmed in a thick mist off Cape Flattery. The Pamir sank off the Azore archipelago in 1956. Some say the Azores received their name from sailors who identified the blue islands by their colour, “azor,” meaning “blue” in vernacular Portuguese. The English word “azure,” a bright blue colour,” is a cognate of lapis lazuli.